Thursday 22 November 2012

999 (after the end)

This post was actually meant to be the one about the sequel of 999, but I got so excited talking about my final experiences of 999 that I had to divide it into two different posts. I hope you can understand that, it's just that it would be way too large for only one post.

You remember 999? If not, just have a little look here: Click me baby one more time!

Well, now that your memories have been refreshed, let's talk about the promising sequel of 999: 101010... Okay, that was a lame one.
No, actually it's called "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" or it's Japanese title "Virtue's Last Reward: Good People Die", which are naturally better names. This makes you be curious, doesn't it?

First, I want to tell about how the whole 999 thing ended for me. Well, let's say that, I was very enthusiastic about the games at the beginning. Then I played more and more and I revealed the whole true story behind the mysterious kidnappings.
So, then I thought another time about my opinion of the game and it changed a lot: After that, I was extremly EXCITED and IMPRESSED and INSPIRATED and [muchmorepositiveadjectives]...
Just WOW. I mean, I can't explain everything to you because I would destory you the story in case you ever decide to play the game by yourself. And to be honest, even though you aren't really a fan of videogames, it's really worth it (and you don't need a console to play it, just like you don't need money to get music, if you know what I mean; I'm such a bad boy...).
But the story was so outstanding! When you come around the walls and lies and supositions and other obstacles and finally find out the moving truth behind this whole sick game it will... just touch you. You will learn to love or hate each character as if you had known them in reality and the first days and maybe even weeks you will remember many times those emotional moments you got through...
The music of the game is simple and not very varied, but it's perfect to create a good atmosphere. Just listen to some samples (watch out with the comments of the people, they may contain huge story spoilers!)

The soundtrack for the intro and the dramatic and moving moments (my earworm for about 3 weeks even after finishing the game...)


This one thrilled me until my bones... It's the music that sounds whenever a situation gets very dangerous, shocking... It just remembers me of the moment where you find a dead body and the situation gets into my mind another time... (better don't listen to that at night)




So, what makes this game so great is the way it catches you and introduces you into the story and it makes run thousands and thousands of thoughts through your mind. You feel like you are inside the events of the game and you look for any possible logical solution for the happenings while you just try to survive.
It creats perfectly the necessary atmosphere to make the story credible. Besides from the music, the images also transmit you very well the situation, the dialogues are natural and interesting and finally the descriptions of the situation are tremendously good. Just to give you an example: At one point (you can't avoid that during the story) you will find a dead body. The images of the game don't show at any time the dead body (and if it does, you don't see the "dramatic" zones). But the descriptions are so detailed... You will feel like you've just found a cadaver. So, this game isn't recommendable for someone with a weak mind, in the sense that that person cannot think about these situations without any kind of disturbance.
Something very specific of this game is that is has got 6 (well... actually 7) different endings. And only one ending is the "true" one, the good one. All the others endings lead you to another possibility because you made an incorrect choice. The game continously puts you in front of decisions. Some of the decisions (these can be the door you want to go through, what you answer to someone, etc.) are crucial for the incidents that will follow. So, to get a specific ending, you have to make the choices which correspond that ending.
In other words, you will have to try out several times (getting VERY subtle hints from the game during the story) making different decisions to get the best ending. You may think that you need a lot of pacience for that. And it's true. But the game sucks you into itself so much that you won't be satisfied until you finally understand the whole story and you see the true ending.

So, I can just say that this is definitely one of the greatest games I ever played and it's worth so much the time to invest in. Also, it was a good English practice for me since it's only available in English (besides of Japanese... I mean the real Japanese, not the weird accent that some students speak in our English class ;) ).
I can only fully recommend you to play this game and experience it by yourself!





No comments:

Post a Comment